Ch:4 Children of Atlantis pt4

Once everyone was seated Charles handled some introductions that he probably should have gotten to earlier, “This is Agent Jeff Sandborn of the Department of Homeland Security, who we are here to meet. The two other gentlemen are, as you know, bounty hunters. Amadeus Black and Richard White. I know you’ve had a bad experience with Richard and Amadeus in the past; that’s part of why I brought them in. I’ve worked closely with these men, as have a number of my associates, and it would be a shame if you felt you couldn’t trust them because they were misled by another party we once all trusted.”

“I’m going to need a bit more than that,” Kyle said, sounding angry.

“You’ll get it. Later.”

There was a longish moment of silence, then Amadeus reached over the table extending a hand to Kyle, “Call me Andy, and when I say that I mean it. My parents were classicists…”

Andy had something that almost approached an accent, but very weak. Like, perhaps, it had been his parents accent, or maybe his parents had just really cared about diction. Then he became a bounty hunter. She wondered if there was a rebellious back story there. She also wondered if there was a good explanation for Andy shooting a cop.

Kyle took the offered hand and shook, but his face stayed tight. Richard extended a hand to Kyle as well saying, “Rick,” as he did so. Kyle shook that to and glowered more.

Both men also shook Jessie’s hand. She used her supernatural strength to make them regret that. Which was petty, but whatever they deserved that much at least. If they’d wanted to avoid getting their hands slightly crushed they should have kissed her wrist or something. Oddly, both of them gave her slightly more respectful looks afterwards, so maybe they understood where she was coming from.

With that out-of-the-way, and the room’s tension slightly decreased, everyone settled back around the conference table and Agent Sandborn fired up a Powerpoint presentation, of all things. Jessie’s stomach growled as Sandborn flipped through several slides worth of introductory material that, apparently, didn’t apply. It was too far from breakfast and the combat magic had burnt through all of her blood sugar. She wondered if it would be impolite to get up and get coffee, or just maybe the sugar container and a spoon.

“Alright, here we are,” Sandborn announced. “The Children of Atlantis started out as a college organization at Indiana University, agitated a bit among the student body, protested outside of the magic building a couple of times, and booed a guest speaker once. They also had a slim online presence. It was, and still is, dedicated to the idea that the Archmagi hide all manner of important information, exercise undemocratic authority, and get up to some economic dirty dealings.” Agent Sandborn paused and looked up at Charles. His expression was blank, but again his shoulders were tight like he wanted to do some sort of violence.

Charles made a small shrugging gesture as if to say, ‘nothing new.’

Sandborn continued, “During this period, they allied themselves with other similar groups. There were a couple of socialist and anarchist organizations on campus that were willing to make common cause over the wealth of the Archmagi. They staged a few events with a radical green organization, Pure Earth, over magical pollution. Again, nothing atypical. Heck, it was probably healthy civil discourse.”

He flipped forward to another slide. This one contained a timeline of incidents stretching back several years. “Alright, here about two years ago something changes. The group first steps up its activities dramatically and then they start to get violent: vandalism at the magical engineering building a couple of times, a public protest that resulted in arrests, vandalization of a couple of local businesses involved in magic or owned by an Archmage, and finally the planned assault of a speaker scheduled by the university. This last event failed when it was reported by an ex member of the group, and a warrant was served against the group apparently scaring them into submission. I suppose I should be saying ‘alleged’ here. No conclusive evidence was discovered and no charges were filed.”

The next slide of the presentation displayed pictures of a number of people. “During this period, the membership of the Children is falling for fairly obvious reasons. They’re losing their previous core of politically active, but basically ordinary, students and picking up more extreme individuals from those affiliated groups I mentioned earlier. I’ll get you copies of our files on these guys later on so you can review them on your own, but I assure you it’s an interesting grab bag. We’ve got some criminal records, some psychological problems, and a lot of isolation and antisocial behavior.”

He clicked on one of the pictures, the image of a stunningly good-looking blond woman expanded to fill the screen. She had a bright and sunny smile, dimples, and twinkling green eyes. Although Jessie felt such genetic good fortune was somewhat unjust, nothing in her appearance suggested ‘magical terrorist’. Toothpaste commercial, maybe, but not terrorist. “That being said, memorize this face. This is Allison Savant. She was the student head of the group and every interview we’ve done says she’s a significant force.”

Ch:4 Children of Atlantis pt3
Ch:4 Children of Atlantis pt5

11 comments on “Ch:4 Children of Atlantis pt4
  1. Helios says:

for some reason not many people seem to comment. So i am going to make the jump and do it.

I was inintally rather lukewarm about your story, but it has gotten better and better since then. Or maybe i prefer the action focus more ;). either way keep up the good work.

I’m glad it’s going the correct direction for you! πŸ™‚ It’s kinda funny; you commented on the slowest update in a long time. I guess I couldn’t let Kyle get through a whole book without at least *one* meeting. πŸ˜‰

• AvidFan says:

I comment! I comment a lot! Here, I’ll post a comment to prove how commentative I am!

Ahem. *Clears throat* Is this one of the warning signs we will look back on and think: “Darn. We should have known. The future love triangle was so obvious! Curse our disbelief that Thaumaturgical_Support would DARE include romance lovers most hated of tropes!”

There! A comment!- Or was that more of a question?… Drats. Ok, here it goes: While this latest chapter was exciting to read with its downright interesting… Meeting… Scenario, I can’t help but feel that Alison was described in such a manner as to imply Kyle will become romantically interested in her later in the story, thus forming a love triangle. This is either a genius diversion by our good author, or a most fiendish attempt at a cruel and unusual punishment.

…. Did I sound sarcastic there or too speculative? Gah. I’m bad at this commenting thing…. Ok, last try: Good chapter, thanks for the release, can’t wait for the next one. πŸ™‚

No comment; anything is possible at this point. Still, now that you *mention* a love triangle….

• AvidFan says:

Oh god. What have I done.

• Drake says:

You’ve created a monster! xD

Na, im happy with the story and i comment also… sometimes. ^_^

Realy like it that those two made their first steps, also i couldnt help but smirk as i read how both of them tried to get closer to each other without the other side realising it and getting their own head cinema about what the other side thinks.

Its so much like real liefe, way better then those stupid love scenes you cant realy relate to. ^^

———

By the way, can it be that the overview on the left is broken, or is that just me seeing things my browser dosnt whant to show? πŸ˜€

• Drake says:

You’ve created a monster! xD

Na, im happy with the story and i comment also… sometimes. ^_^

———

2. Bart says:

Or she’ll favor Jessie.

I remember the bounty hunters didn’t ever appear with the manticore, right?

A bounty hunter described with glorious vagueness as “maybe the one who attacked Kyle at the old mine amphitheater” works with a manticore in “the cover art is explained” and the two posts around that. As always, the bounty hunter uses non-lethal spells. The manticore tries to smash Kyle’s head, but only just before the bounty hunter runs up. Of course, Charles had an explanation for manticore misbehavior (which really needs to be a chapter title at some point…) when Jessie talked to him so who’s to say who else he fed that line to. On the other hand, they also attack a cop at one point (non-lethally), and one of them says he wants to shoot Kyle but the other says Charles wants Kyle alive. They just attack with fists after that.

They clearly didn’t mean Kyle well last book, but did they do anything that proves they are eeeevil?

(No, seriously, did they? I’ve got to write the next scene with them in it soon…. πŸ˜‰ )

Also, thanks for the corrections! People have been letting me slide lately. I think I drove off all the readers who actually see my errors. heh.

3. Warren Peace says:

Typos:
    forced to do push-ups for bad posture –WTF? Does this make sense to anyone?

fired up a Powerpoint presentation of all things –so it’s an infinitely large powerpoint? Lol, put a comma after presentation

Atypical is one word

___________________

Honestly you’re so bad with commas, I’m starting to wonder if maybe I’d be a more creative writer if I could repurpose the part of my brain that knows how to use commas properly, and put it towards imagining up characters or settings instead!

Thanks again for the corrections. I’ve updated both this post and the other.

> Honestly you’re so bad with commas,

I am, I really really am. In truth, I’m very bad at written English. Robots can mostly get me where I need to be on spelling, but commas… No one can save me when it comes to commas.